Friday, April 5, 2019

MOVING ON AFTER THE FIVE YEAR PLAN

From Retirement to KENTUCK Festival of Arts
It's hard to believe my last post was in 2016 when I wrote about my 5 year plan towards  becoming an artist. Most of 2017 was spent moving "stuff" from Virginia to my newly purchased retirement home in North Carolina. Then all of 2018 was spent as an official retiree working on retirement issues, which included the actual move to NC, unpacking, remodeling, making some great new friends and reconnecting with other friends and family.

Cut Sew Create Studio Kentuck 2018
Along the way I did attend a few Fine Art Shows, made some new art and getting some much needed rest. 
In 2017 I attended the Frederick, MD FINE ART FAIR and the Howard Alan July 4th ASHEVILLE PACK SQUARE. Both were very good events.

But 2018 brought an exciting new opportunity when I was juried into the KENTUCK Festival of the Arts in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  

The Kentuck Festival of the Arts is recognized by the Alabama Dept of Tourism as a top-ten event in Alabama and by Alabama Magazine as a “Best of Bama” event. 

Kentuck has been featured in Smithsonian, Southern Living, American Style, and National Geographic Traveler magazines. In 2018, it was named 5th in the nation by Sunshine Artists Magazine its Category.

Alison White, BB's Sales Asst.
The show was exciting for me because it gave me a chance 
to visit with family members Walt and Alison White who lived close by.

And it also gave me an exciting boost of artistic confidence. Kentuck has a wonderful Award of Merit Program which gives artist cash awards based on a review by a Professional Panel.

And I received the Award of Merit for the FIBER Category!!! 



FALL FESTIVAL OF ARTS - ASHEVILLE, NC
To wrap up 2018 I participated in the Hot Works Fall Art Festival in downtown Ashville during the last weekend of October. The weather was a bit cold and damp on Saturday. But the sky cleared Sunday and the crowd was strong for this promoters first event in Asheville.

It's always fun when the Steel Magnolias show up!





Cut Sew Create Studio Booth
Hot Works Show
Asheville, NC 2018











No comments:

Post a Comment