Saturday, May 12, 2012

MARCH 2012 DRA Show

Hard to believe I havn't posted anything to this site since February. So I think I'll try to do a little catch up today. And pledge to do better going forward. I'm thinking I need an automated calendar reminder to keep me on track.

In March I displayed 2 pieces of my art in the Del Ray Artisans XX Exhibit; celebrating the 20th Anniversay of the founding of the DRA Gallery. Above, I'm pictured with one of those pieces: Red Lanters At Night. The piece is made of woven fabric and recycled aluminum soda cans. After creating the fabric, I machine quilted it and then hand emblished it with little red beads that looked, at least to me, like little red lanterns. What follows is a close up of that same piece.

The second work I submitted to the DRA XX show was a little larger, and it was created with a very different technique. As I sew, I save all my thread scraps. Then I machine stitch them into lace using water soluable stabalizer to hold all those scraps together. The piece (pictured next) was then hand emblished with beads. To make the piece more interesting I backed it with cut pieces of recycled aluminum soda can that I decorated with machine needle punches......I put the metal through my sewing machine without thread. The whole piece is then placed on a vintage damask napkin and it's mounted into a recycled frame. I've titled the work Summer Pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment